I was always scared of making pizza dough. I thought it would be difficult and time consuming, and that the end result would never be as good as what I could get at a pizza place.
But then I tried this recipe for Same Day Sourdough Pizza Dough, and it was so simple and easy that anyone can do it!
Plus, the end result was delicious- just like what you would get at a pizza place. So if you’re looking for an easy and delicious pizza dough recipe, definitely give this one a try!
Ingredients Overview For Same Day Sourdough Pizza Dough
Active Bubbly Sourdough Starter
The active and bubbly sourdough starter is what gives this pizza dough its great flavor and texture. Sourdough starters are made with a mixture of flour and water that is left to sit at room temperature for a period of time so that bacteria and yeast can grow. This process results in a tangy, slightly sour flavor which pairs perfectly with pizza toppings. In addition, the bubbles created by the starter help to create a light and airy dough which is perfect for pizza.
The warm water is used to activate the sourdough starter and help it grow. The warm water helps to speed up the fermentation process, resulting in a more flavorful dough. In addition, the warm water also helps soften the dough so that it’s easier to shape into a pizza crust.
This recipe calls for all-purpose flour which has a medium protein content (11% to 12%). This type of flour will give your pizza dough a nice texture and good structure without being too dense or tough. You could also use whole wheat flour if you want, but keep in mind that this will result in a denser and heavier crust with less rise.
Adding salt to your dough is important for flavor and structure. The salt helps to strengthen the gluten in the dough and make it easier to handle. It also adds a bit of flavor which helps balance out the sourdough flavor.
Pizza sauce is a great way to add flavor and depth to your pizza crust. You can use store-bought or homemade marinara sauce for this recipe, just make sure it’s not too runny.
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Shredded mozzarella cheese adds a delicious creamy flavor to your pizza, plus a nice melty texture when it’s cooked. You can also use other types of cheeses such as cheddar or Parmesan if you prefer.
The toppings you choose will depend on your personal preference. Some popular choices include pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, onions, and bell peppers. Be sure to pre-cook any of your toppings that require it before adding them onto the pizza.
Ingredients With Measurements:
- 150 g (¾ cup) active bubbly sourdough starter
- 500 g (4 cups) all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 10 g (1 ½ tsp) fine sea salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 300 g (1 ¼ cup) warm water
- 1 can pizza sauce, about 14 ounces
Instructions For Same Day Sourdough Pizza Dough:
- Start by activating your sourdough starter. For this recipe you will need 2 tablespoons of active and bubbly starter in a bowl or jar.
- Add in 1/4 cup of warm water and mix until the starter is completely dissolved.
- In a separate large bowl, add in 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and the activated sourdough starter from Step 1.
- Mix everything together with a wooden spoon or spatula to combine.
- Slowly add in more warm water (1/3 cup at a time) while stirring with a spoon or your hands until everything comes together into a soft dough that doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl.
- You may not need to use all the water depending on humidity levels so just keep adding until you reach the desired consistency.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, then shape it into a ball and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour, then place the dough ball in the center and press down into a disc shape about 1/4 inch (6mm) thick.
- Place the pizza on an oiled baking sheet or pizza stone, then add your desired toppings.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving! Enjoy!
Substitutions & Tips
- If you don’t have sourdough starter, you can substitute with active dry yeast. Just add in 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast and 1/4 cup of warm water when you first mix the dough ingredients together.
- If you want a crispier crust, brush the top of your pizza with a bit of olive oil before baking it.
- You could also try adding some herbs such as oregano or basil to the dough for an extra flavor kick!
- For a delicious vegan pizza, just use non-dairy cheese instead of regular cheese and replace any animal-based toppings with plant-based options like mushrooms, bell peppers, and olives. Enjoy!
Also Read : Best Way To Microwave Pizza Rolls
The recipe will last in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1-2 months. Be sure to wrap the pizza tightly in foil or plastic wrap before freezing.
We hope you have enjoyed this recipe for sourdough pizza. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the section below. We would love to hear from you!