When my husband and I were first married, we were both working full-time jobs and going to school full-time. We were exhausted all of the time, and neither one of us had a lot of energy to cook dinner. So, we would usually end up ordering pizza or Chinese food. One day, we decided to try out the Portobello Mushroom Chicken Texas Roadhouse recipe that we found online.
It was so easy to make, and it was a lot healthier than ordering pizza or Chinese food. Plus, it was a lot cheaper to make this recipe at home than it was to order takeout. We have been making this recipe ever since!
Ingredients Overview For Portobello Mushroom Chicken Texas Roadhouse
Grilled Chicken Breasts
The grilled chicken breasts work well in this recipe because they are a lean protein that is low in fat and calories. They also have a mild flavor that pairs well with the portobello mushroom sauce.
Monterey Jack Cheese
Monterey Jack cheese adds a creamy texture and nutty flavor to this dish.
Portobello Mushroom Sauce
This sauce is made with condensed cream of mushroom soup, soybean oil, portobello mushrooms, flour, water, white pepper, granulated garlic, salt, and sugar. It has a rich and savory flavor that pairs perfectly with the grilled chicken breasts.
Grated parmesan cheese provides a salty and nutty flavor to the dish.
Fresh chopped parsley adds a pop of color and herby flavor.
Sauteed Portobello Mushrooms
Sauteed portobello mushrooms help to add even more flavor and texture to the dish.
Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup
The condensed cream of mushroom soup is the base for the portobello mushroom sauce. It adds a rich flavor and creamy texture to the dish.
The soybean oil helps to bind the ingredients together and creates a smooth, creamy sauce.
The flour helps to thicken the sauce and create a rich flavor.
The water helps to bind the ingredients together and create a smooth, creamy sauce.
White Pepper, Granulated Garlic, Salt, And Sugar
These ingredients add a zesty flavor and just the right amount of saltiness to the dish.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy meal that the whole family will love, look no further than this Grilled Chicken and Portobello Mushroom Sauce dish.
This dish is made with grilled chicken breasts, sautéed portobello mushrooms, Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan cheese, and a savory portobello mushroom sauce. While all of these ingredients are amazing on their own, you can also customize the recipe to fit your taste buds by using different ingredients or substitutions.
Monterey Jack Cheese
If you’re not a fan of Monterey Jack cheese, feel free to use any other type of melting cheese such as cheddar or Swiss.
Portobello Mushroom Sauce
If you don’t have condensed cream of mushroom soup on hand, you can substitute it with 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of white wine. You can also use 2 cups of any type of homemade or store-bought gravy.
If you don’t have Parmesan cheese on hand, feel free to use any other type of hard grating cheese such as Romano or Asiago.
If you don’t have parsley, feel free to use any other type of fresh or dried herbs such as oregano, rosemary, or thyme.
Ingredients With Measurements
- Grilled chicken breasts (depending on how many you’re serving)
- Sauteed portobello mushrooms
- Monterey Jack cheese (Sliced)
- Parsley (Chopped)
- Parmesan cheese (Grated)
- Portobello Mushroom Sauce
For The Portobello Mushroom Sauce
- 5 1/2 oz of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces (or one cup) of finely chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of soybean oil
- 2 quarts plus 1 additional cupof water
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated salt
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
Instructions For Portobello Mushroom Chicken Texas Roadhouse
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken breasts on parchment paper and top with slice of Monterey Jack cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat soybean oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute then add chopped portobello mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are softened.
- Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, being careful not to brown it.
- Stir in condensed cream of mushroom soup and water until mixture reaches a soft boil then reduce heat to low and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in white pepper, granulated garlic, salt, and sugar until well combined then remove from heat.
- Preheat a separate large skillet over medium-high heat and add sautéed portobello mushrooms along with the cooked chicken breasts (with melted cheese).
- Pour the prepared portobello mushroom sauce over top of the chicken and mushrooms in the skillet and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese then broil for 5 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve hot. Enjoy!
The Grilled Chicken and Portobello Mushroom Sauce will last in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. Be sure to thaw completely before reheating.
Also Read : Pork Roll Egg And Cheese On A Bagel
This Grilled Chicken and Portobello Mushroom Sauce dish is amazing, and you can easily customize it to fit your taste buds by using different ingredients or substitutions. Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan cheese, and a savory portobello mushroom sauce make this dish irresistible. Don’t forget to garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving! What are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today.