Making Chicken Tempura Rolls is a great way to enjoy an Asian-inspired dish that is both delicious and nutritious! This dish brings together a mix of flavors from different cultures, making it an exciting and unique meal. Not only does this recipe provide a flavorful balance of sweet, savory, and spicy elements, it is also packed with healthy ingredients like sushi rice, almonds, and fresh ginger.
This flavorful combination of ingredients creates a delightful taste experience that can be enjoyed by everyone! The crunchy exterior comes from the frozen breaded chicken tenders which provide a layer of flavor without overpowering the other components. The sweetness of the orange juice concentrate and sugar complements the salty soy sauce and red pepper flakes using in the marinade. The addition of freshly minced ginger root gives this dish its signature Asian flavor while adding a bit of kick. Finally, the toasted almonds provide a nutty crunch that adds texture to each bite!
The health benefits of this dish are just as impressive as its flavor profile. Sushi rice contains high levels of carbohydrates which help your body produce energy for physical activities. The almonds in this recipe are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber to help you stay full for longer periods of time. Plus, the protein from the chicken offers necessary nutrients for maintaining strong muscles throughout your day.
Making Chicken Tempura Rolls is an easy way to introduce new flavors into your kitchen while still providing nutrients that are essential for healthful living. Whether you serve this as an appetizer or main entrée, this recipe will be sure to please everyone’s palate! Best of all, you can make it in just under one hour so you can get back to enjoying time with family and friends!
Ingredients Overview For Chicken Tempura Rolls Recipe
Sushi rice is the perfect ingredient for Chicken Tempura Rolls because it provides a delicious and nutritious balance of flavors and textures.
Rice vinegar adds an essential layer of flavor to this dish. It helps to bring out the sweetness of the other ingredients and enhances the taste overall.
Almonds provide a crunchy texture that complements the softness of sushi rice. They also contain vitamins, minerals, and fiber to help keep you full throughout your meal.
Crispy chicken tenders provide a flavorful protein source without overwhelming the other components in this recipe.
Orange Juice Concentrate & Sugar
The orange juice concentrate and sugar add sweetness to the marinade while balancing out the salty soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
Soy sauce adds a salty flavor to the marinade that helps bring out the other flavors in this dish.
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Red pepper flakes provide a spicy kick that adds to the overall flavor profile.
Sugar & Salt
Sugar and salt add sweetness and saltiness to the marinade that helps bring out all of the flavors in this dish.
Minced Fresh Ginger Root
Ginger root adds an Asian-inspired flavor to this dish that helps to make it truly unique.
Toasted almonds provide a crunchy texture and nutty flavor that adds depth to each bite.
Green onions add a mild onion flavor and provide a bit of crunch to the dish.
The sweetness of a navel orange helps bring the flavors together to create an exciting and flavorful meal.
Sesame oil adds a nutty flavor to the marinade that helps to bring out all of the flavors in this dish.
Bamboo Sushi Mat
A bamboo sushi mat is essential for rolling the tempura rolls. It helps to keep everything in place as you roll them up.
Sweet Red Pepper
A sweet red pepper provides a bit of sweetness and crunch that complements the other ingredients in this dish.
Ingredients With Measurements
- 2 cup sushi rice
- ½ Pound frozen breaded chicken tenders
- ½ teaspoon crushed Red pepper flakes
- ¼ Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ Cups sliced almonds chopped and toasted
- 3 green onions
- 1 large navel orange peeled and sliced into pieces
- Bamboo sushi mat
- 1 small sweet red pepper julienned
- ½ Cup Rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ⅔ Cup Thawed orange juice concentrate
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- If you’d like to make these rolls vegan, simply substitute the chicken with tofu or tempeh. You can also use any type of nut in place of the almonds if desired.
- For a gluten-free version, opt for gluten-free breaded chicken tenders and swap out the soy sauce for tamari or liquid aminos.
Instructions For Chicken Tempura Rolls Recipe
- Prepare sushi rice according to package instructions and let cool before using.
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C). Place frozen chicken tenders on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely before adding to tempura rolls.
- In a large bowl, combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, orange juice concentrate, sugar, sesame oil, crushed red pepper flakes, minced ginger root and salt. Mix until ingredients are well combined.
- Add cooled chicken tenders to the marinade and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Place sushi mat on a cutting board or flat surface and spread cooked sushi rice in the center of the mat.
- Layer sliced almonds, green onions and navel orange on top of the sushi rice.
- Drain excess marinade from the chicken tenders and layer on top of other ingredients in the center of the mat .
- Top with julienned sweet red pepper before rolling up tempura rolls.
- Roll up tempura rolls using the bamboo sushi mat and slices into 8 equal pieces. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- The tempura rolls can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can freeze the tempura rolls for up to 1 month.
- When storing in the freezer, wrap each roll individually with plastic wrap or place inside a resealable bag for extra protection.
- To reheat, thaw the tempura rolls out and place on a baking sheet before warming in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 10-12 minutes, or until heated through.
- You can also heat them in the microwave at 30-second intervals until they are warmed through.
- Be sure not to overheat them as this can cause the sushi rolls to become soggy and decrease their overall taste and texture quality.
- Additionally, it is recommended to consume any leftovers within 2 days of thawing them out from the freezer.
Also Read : Gluten Free Hoagie Rolls Recipe
Thank you for reading our recipe for vegan tempura rolls! We hope you enjoy them as much as we do. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Have a great day!