In this post, I will show you how to choose the best knife for cutting ribs, explore what elements to consider while making your decision!!
You’ll want to square off the ribs while making ribs (particularly for competition ribs). But what exactly does that imply? Squaring ribs entails transforming your spare ribs from an oddly shaped, slightly oval shape into a neatly presented square (rectangle if we are being technical).
This is vital for your dish’s appearance, which is half the fight in contests since it provides the ribs a consistent look that makes them more appealing. Squaring ribs, however, is more than just a fashion statement; it also allows you to use the entire rib by completely eliminating the rib tip. Rib tips cook at a different rate than ribs, therefore leaving them in the pan will destroy the tips.
When chopping ribs, which knife should you use? Many individuals have asked themselves this problem over the years, and there are a number of knives on the marketplace that claim to be the finest for the job. Which one, though, should you pick? You need read the entire article in order to learn the solution.
What Kinds of Meat Knives Are Used?
Knives come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and they may be used for a variety of tasks. Finding the appropriate knife for your requirements might be overwhelming for a new cook or even an amateur chef. Here’s a brief reference guide on which knives are best for specific scenarios.
|Butcher knife||Large chunks of meat must be trimmed and sectioned.|
|Chef’s knife||Various food items are chopped, sliced, and minced.|
|Slicing knife||Cooked meats and huge fish are sliced|
|Paring knife||Potentially carefully chopping little chunks of meat|
|Boning knife||removing the meat from the bone|
|Cleaver||slicing through tough cuts of meat and bones|
|Breaking knife||piercing cartilage, skin, and tiny bones|
KNIVES: FORGED VS. STAMPED
|Forged Knife||Stamped Knife|
|Unlike stamped knives, which are made from a sheet of steel, forged knives are made from a single piece of steel. |
As a result, you’ll receive a better balanced, stronger knife that will retain its edge for longer.
|Because stamped knives are less expensive to produce, you should probably pay less, but weight and balance will be compromised. |
While there are many low-quality stamped knives on the market, there are a handful that made our list of the finest knives under $50.
10 Best Knife For Cutting Ribs (Comparison Table)
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
10 Best Knife For Cutting Ribs (Buying Guide)
Category: Best classic knife for cutting ribs.
For many pitmasters and cooks, this is the go-to knife. Boning knives are noted for their versatility, allowing you to make a solid cut even in the tightest of spaces.
- Features: This Wusthof Classic-5″ Boning Knife has following features:
- It boasts a conventional design with a three-riveted handle for strength, performance, and longevity. Wusthof knives are guaranteed for the rest of your life.
- As I previously indicated, some individuals like to chop their ribs using a conventional chef’s knife, which is OK as long as you’re not cutting any hard-to-reach spots. However, I prefer a boning knife because of the narrow, lightweight, and flexible blade.
- I understand that this is a somewhat pricey knife, and that the price tag may deter some individuals. However, top quality instruments will require you to pay a bit more money. This knife’s durability is definitely worth the money you pay for it.
- Material: Because the Wusthof Classic is small and flexible, it’s ideal for boning poultry. We’re only making a few easy cuts for ribs; thus, this will simply and neatly do the task. It’s made of high-carbon stainless steel that’s been hand-honed to create a razor-sharp blade that’ll slice through your meat with ease.
- Dishwasher safe: After using this boning knife, all you have to do is toss it in the dishwasher for easy cleanup.
Category: best knife for cutting ribs with leather sleeves.
Authentic XYJ Knives are ideal for a variety of applications, including climbing, fishing, being outside, and cooking. Workers with a combined experience of more than thirty years honed the blades. Furthermore, it is a multi-purpose knife that can be used to cut meat, vegetables, and fruit.
- Features: This Dexter Russell Boning Knife has following features:
- This knife features an ergonomic design that reduces stress on your hand while still being extremely robust.
- It’s the ideal knife for making a clean cut without the risk of sliding and injuring oneself or others. It’s worth noting that these blades are well-made using forging techniques that provide long-term durability and resistance to wear and tear when used in cutting operations.
- It may be used to trim many types of meat, even large pieces.
- It helps you cook more efficiently and quickly, so you’ll always be at your best when you use it. Kitchen duties like as chopping up your favorite meals will be completed quickly and effectively.
- Material: High manganese steel, a V-shaped blade, and a comfortable grip distinguish this genuine XYJ knife.
- Dishwasher: Because of the material, the knife must be hand-washed only and never put in the dishwasher to avoid cracking the blade, which is a common problem with professional knives.
Category: Best bunka knife for cutting ribs.
Enso knives are created in Seki City, Japan, which is one of the most well-known sword-making locations in the country. Seki is a historically and culturally significant city. The extraordinary quality of knives manufactured in Seki City is supposed to be based on the old Seki sword smiths’ technology and beliefs. Seki knifemakers today combine knowledge, technique, and tradition to create high-quality blades from the ground up, tailored to a wide range of uses and lifestyles.
- Features: This has a very sturdy appearance. It has some amazing features such as:
- The bunka is a versatile kitchen knife that may be used for a variety of tasks. It’s especially good at slicing finely chopped objects like herbs, garlic, celery, shallots, carrots, and the like.
- The medium-sized blade is typically 5 to 8 inches long, with a height profile ranging from 2 to 3 inches from heel to spine — making it a useful scooping implement.
- Material: A black canvas micarta handle with three stainless steel rivets, bolster, and end cap is standard on all Enso HD knives. The seamless design of the enclosed full tang handle provides strength, longevity, and balance. For outstanding edge retention, Enso HD blades are made of 37-layer stainless steel Damascus with a VG-10 steel cutting core. A hammered or sashimi finish is applied on each blade.
- Dishwasher: With Enso HD 7″ Bunka Knife handwash is suggested.
Category: best 12 inches knife for cutting ribs.
Victorinox, a Swiss manufacturer with over 130 years of expertise, is recognized for its high-quality blades. This carving knife is no exception, receiving rave ratings on America’s Test Kitchen and quickly becoming a fan favorite.
- Features: The design is very classy and elegant. It has following amazing feature:
- The Granton Blade, which is meant to reduce friction and make cutting meat simpler, is one of the knife’s most important benefits. Trimming fat from meat and eliminating gristle will be much simpler with this specialist blade.
- While this knife is heavier than previous Victorinox models, the added weight gives it greater stability, making it easier to slice meat. Not only that, but this tool is razor-sharp straight out of the package, so you can start using it right away.
- Material: This carving knife has a European steel blade that delivers excellent slicing efficiency for all types of meat. This can cut strip steak, smoked tri-tip, prime rib roasts, brisket, Thanksgiving turkey, strip loins, and a variety of other cuts.
- Dishwasher: This knife is stainless steel and can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
Also Read : Best Way To Cook Ribs On Charcoal Grill
Category: Best heavy-duty knife for cutting ribs.
Because of its versatility and versatility with all other culinary products, the TUO Meat Cleaver Chopping Knife is a kitchen must-have. The blade’s high quality provides simple cutting of baby back ribs and long-lasting sharpness, as well as being safe to use even on sensitive foods by you and your family. Ultimately, it was created with left-handed people in mind.
- Features: First of all, this is TUO Meat Cleaver 6 inch. It has following features:
- You can effortlessly transfer the veggies directly into containers with this cleaver’s larger blade.
- The knife has been processed with vacuum heat and nitrogen conditioning to provide the greatest performance, resulting in an incredibly hard surface and a long service life.
- This chopper’s edge is razor sharp, removing any cutting resistance. The handle of your rib knife features a gorgeous curve with great ergonomics to promote comfort while using it, leading in reduced wrist fatigue over time.
- Material: The Meat Cleaver Chopping Knife by TUO is made of German HC steel and is perfect for chopping vegetables and ribs. With Pakkawood, you can be certain that your knife will not only be long-lasting but also resistant to insects, dampness, and rust.
- Dishwasher: This knife has Pakkawood handle and cannot be cleaned in dishwasher.
Category: Best granton knife for cutting ribs.
For a myriad of purposes, this Mercer Culinary knife earns a spot on my list of the 10 best knives for cutting ribs reviews.
- Features: This is knife comes with all the amazing features such as:
- To begin with, this knife can easily cut through a huge piece of meat. You may also use this knife to chop or carve a variety of foods like bread or butter.
- The cost is surprisingly low, ensuring that you will not go penniless after purchasing one for your home.
- Professional chefs, home cooks, and culinary enthusiasts will all benefit from this best cutting knife for ribs.
- Material: The razor-sharpness of this large meat-cutting knife is astounding. As a result, you must use extreme caution when using this knife to prepare food. Because the blade is manufactured of high-quality Japanese non-staining steel, its performance is unquestionable.
- Dishwasher: Because excessive heat and detergents might compromise the performance and longevity of this finest knife for cutting meat, it is not suggested to wash it in the dishwasher.
Category: best chef’s knife for cutting ribs.
The Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8-Inch Chef’s Knife, from the makers of Swiss Army Knives, is a cheap chef’s knife that’s known to be a kitchen powerhouse.
- Features: This has a minimal design and following feature:
- I put the knife through its paces, slicing, mincing, dicing, and chopping veggies to see whether it’s actually a cut above the rest.
- With a wide edge and curved blade, the shape is iconic for a chef’s knife, making it ideal for cutting with a continuous movement. The blade is a little broader than usual, which makes it excellent for hoovering up meals and transferring them to a dish or pot, but it’s not so wide to make the best chef’s knife awkward. It’s also a good size for crushing garlic cloves.
- Material: This knife is made in Switzerland and features a stamped stainless-steel blade rather than a forged one. Stamped knives are normally lighter in weight and of inferior quality, but this one is an exception. It’s possible that some individuals will prefer it to a hefty forged tool. The handle is constructed of thermoplastic, while the sheath is made of lightweight plastic. While the sheath was useful for shipping, we believe it is too light to be used for long-term storage.
- Dishwasher: This knife, like any other, should be hand cleaned and dried, however we’ve had no problems letting it air dry after washing. Although the blade and handle are dishwasher safe, moving around in the dishwasher and slamming against other silverware might dull or damage the edge, necessitating more frequent sharpening.
Category: Best forged stainless-steel knife for cutting ribs.
The name Zelite Infinity has a specific meaning: “Elite” stands for excellence, “Infinity” stands for the longevity of their products, and “Z” stands for the famed swordsman Zorro. They are a family-owned company that specializes in numerous knife lines, including Japanese and German models.
- Features: This is Zelite Infinity Cleaver Knife – Comfort-Pro Series set comes with all the amazing features such as:
- The length of this knife is 7 inches. The blade is robust, having a Rockwell hardness of 56. Its razor-sharp blade and towering height make it perfect for slicing through bigger portions of meat and bones.
- Its forged handle and regular 18-degree and 20-degree edges provide an excellent mix between sharpness and durability. In comparison to other knives, the broad, rounded handle is quite pleasant to hold.
- You’ll have this knife in your kitchen for a long time since it comes with a 15-year satisfaction guarantee.
- Material: The Zelite Infinity Cleaver Knife is a well-balanced meat knife with a high-carbon stainless steel blade that resists rust.
- Dishwasher: The seamless structure of the Zelite makes cleaning a breeze. This is appropriate for usage in both the home and the restaurant.
Category: Best stainless-steel knife for cutting ribs.
The Mercer Culinary Genesis carving knife boasts a strong construction that will not be harmed by culinary oils or extreme heat and cold. It also includes a large bolster that reinforces it and increases its durability.
- Features: This is Mercer Culinary Genesis carving knife comes with all the amazing features such as:
- It is, in reality, corrosion, rust, and discolouration resistant. It also has a solid construction that adds to its strength and longevity.
- It also includes a taper ground edge, which makes honing easier, increases stability, and ensures long-lasting sharpness. All of these factors contribute to more precise chopping and cutting.
- Furthermore, the knife features a revolutionary ergonomic Santo-prene handle that provides a secure nonslip grip even when wet.
- A complete bolster with a lowered finger guard provides weight, comfort, and safety to this boning knife. This increases the kitchen’s safety and efficiency. The National Sanitary Foundation has also given its approval to the handle (NSF).
- Material: This carving knife is ideal for slicing and carving Thanksgiving turkeys, hams, salmon, vegetables, and huge roasts. It is composed of high carbon stainless German cutlery steel and features a precision crafted single-piece design.
- Dishwasher: The tang has a great balance that allows you to handle it with ease. It’s simple to clean, and for optimum results, hand wash it with soapy water.
Category: Best nominal priced knife for cutting ribs.
I adore how contemporary technology has altered every aspect of our existence. That is why I had to include at least one knife with a contemporary twist on my list. ICEL is a firm that creates exceptional items that contain everything you need in your kitchen accessories as a professional chef.
- Features: This is the knife with 10. 14-inch Blade Granton Edge comes with all the amazing features such as:
- The knife, which is most usually used to cut small slices, can easily cut into ham, turkey, prime rib, roast chicken, and smoked barbecue. Similarly, the long blade allows you to carefully slice your meats, which is ideal for beef jerky.
- It also comes with a lifetime warranty against any manufacturing flaws.
- The cutting surface has a razor-sharp edge. You’ll be amazed at how quickly you can dice with it. A close fit over the blade prevents unintentional damage.
- Material: The blade is made of high-carbon stainless steel and is 12 inches long with a rounded tip for safe usage. The stamped blade is made of stain and rust-resistant cold and rolled steel, making it ideal for use by both home cooks and professional chefs.
- Dishwasher: When it comes to knives made from carbon steel, the cleanup is rather easy. When you are done cutting the ribs, just handwash it. Using dishwasher for cleaning is not recommended.
Consider These Factors When Choosing the Best Knife for Cutting Ribs
When choosing the best knife for cutting ribs, it’s critical to keep a few factors in mind. Here are a few examples:
- Type of material: Slicing ribs is best done using knives constructed of sturdy, long-lasting materials. Steel or carbon steel blades are preferable because they keep their edge, allowing for razor-sharp cuts and simple cooking.
- Sharpness: It’s critical to use a boning knife with a razor-sharp, thin blade that glides through the meat without dragging or ripping it. It will lead in cleaner cuts and simpler grilling, as well as a superior end product. But if you use a dull knife might cause serious issues. As a result, the sharpness of the boning knife must be considered.
- Weight of the knife: Cutting spare ribs with a hefty boning knife may weary your hand or arm rapidly, making it more difficult. If the load is too light, the meat may be pulled since there isn’t enough power behind each cut. A medium-weight boning knife with a solid handle will provide you the most ease while cutting through short ribs.
- Comfortable to hold: It’s crucial to have a comfortable grip on the handle so you can hold on to it when cutting ribs and not worry about it falling out of your hand or tiring you out soon. A shield that fits all around blade should also be present to safeguard your fingers from getting cut.
As you’ve seen, there are a number of factors to consider when choosing a knife for cutting ribs. Each aspect, however, is critical in determining which style of knife will perform best. With all that in consideration, a medium-weight knife with a blade long enough to cut through ribs while being easy to handle is recommended. The knives I’ve shown you in this blog are all of high quality, and I encourage you to choose the one that best suits your needs.
What is the best way to tell if my slicing knife is sharp enough to cut ribs?
It may take more work to cut through the short ribs if your old knife is rusty. It will require minimal time to overcome through the bone if the blade is razor sharp and small. Boning knives with a sharp, thin blade are better for cutting spare ribs in general because they apply less stress to the flesh.