Oh hey. Are you in need of the best chefs knife under 200? So, you are a chef or a person that loves to cook yummy food whichever is the case. I gladly tell you that you have come to the right place. This article contains Best Chef’s Knife under 200.
There is a famous Japanese saying that a kitchen without a knife is not a kitchen. A knife should be able to do everything from slicing to scoring, dicing, chopping pretty much everything and cutting garlic.
As it is the backbone of every meal. Hence, it should be durable and strong. When you think about a good chef’s knife, you think about the hand-forged big knife that will probably cost hundreds and thousands of dollars. This is not true. I have limited myself for 200 hundred dollars and made a list of all the good chef’s knife available in the market. So, without further due let’s begin with the article.
OUR TOP 3 PICK
We totally value the time of each consumer who is looking to purchase a new knife so if you don’t want to go through the whole article and you are in hurry then don’t worry as we have provided these 3 top picks from the entire list which you can purchase blindly.
Types of knives
Sharp knives are the necessity in your kitchen. If you have ever seen a chef at work or a good cook then you would know that they keep different types of knives at hand from small to big cleavers. They each have a specific purpose. So, they are many types of knives which are mentioned as follow:
- The chef’s knife: If you only want one knife for your kitchen then chef’s knife is your way to go. This is a multipurpose knife that can chop, dice, slice and mince the food according to your choice. The blade of this knife is about 8 to 10 inches. And the blades get curves and pointy at the top. The curve is called the ‘belly’ of the knife. This is the part that chops and slices the food with a rocking motion.
- The Santoku Knife: This is a Japanese multipurpose knife as it can chop, slice and dice. This is smaller than a chef’s knife and its length is 6 to 7 inches. It does not have the strength as a chef’s knife, so, it cannot do big jobs. This is a perfect dupe of a chef’s knife for people with small hands because it is small and lightweight.
- The Paring Knife: It is a small knife that is perfect for cutting, peeling and dicing of small fruits and vegetables. It is a small knife with a blade of 2 to 4 inches. So, you cannot mince food with it. But it can chop food like garlic and shallots.
- The utility knife: This knife is different from a pocket utility knife. This lies somewhere between the paring knife and chef’s knife. The blade is between 6 to 7 inches. It is good for dicing, slicing and chopping of medium-sized fruits and vegetables.
7 Best Chefs Knife Under 200 (Comparison Table)
7 Best Chefs Knife Under 200 (Buyers Guide)
1. WÜSTHOF 4582/20 Classic 8 Inch Chef’s Knife
Category: Best chef’s knife under 200 dollar
Are looking for the best knife that has a horsepower speed? Then my first open for you can gladly be your last. It is WÜSTHOF 4582/20 Classic 8 Inch Chef’s Knife. This is the most durable knife of all time. It is the classic knife and essential at all kitchen. Wusthof knife is the best which you can find under 200 dollars. The rest of the amazing features are as follow:
- Features: WÜSTHOF 4582/20 Classic is made by a German company. The blade is 8 inches long. The tang is covered fully with the metal piece and it also has a bolster to help your fingers from slipping. The handle is made up from polyoxymethylene which is comfortable and easy to hold. The blade is secured under the handle with the help of triple rivets. And the handle is 5 inches long. The company has used PTech technology for a sharper blade.
- Material: The blade is made up from high carbon steel with added 58 Rockwell hardness. The steel has been pounded many times to get the shape and then added hardness.
- Size: The total size of the knife is 13 inches (8 inches blade and 5 inches handle). The weight of this knife is 8.5 ounces.
Also Read : Best Whipped Cream Dispenser For Inhaling
2. Shun Classic 10” Chef’s Knife
Category: best chef’s knife with VG max stainless steel
Hey. So, you didn’t like my first option then do not worry I am just getting started with all the options. Are in search of a knife with a longer blade? Then do not sweat more because I have found it. My next option for you is Shun Classic 10” Chef’s Knife. It is the first knife Japanese knife that has been launched in North America. This is a classic chef’s knife with a touch of modern.
- Features: First if we look at the design closely then you can see that there are layered Damascus patterns on the core of the blade. The Japanese word shun is forged on to the blade. The blade has fully covered tang and there is also a bolster to protect your fingers. The blade is 10 inches long which can make it hard for some people to hold it. But the good news is that this knife comes in 6 inches, 8 inches and 10 inches of blade size. The VG max blade is hard and sharp, so, it can slice, dice, chop and mince almost anything.
- Material: The blade is made up of VG max stainless steel which is harder and more resilient. The blade is not made up of one type of metal. The core has 69 layers of Damascus cladding and 34 layered steel are merged together then beaten to form one stainless steel. The handle is made up of Pakkawood that itself is very resilient to water damage.
- Size: The overall size of the Shun classic knife is 10 inches. And weight is 0.5 pound which makes it easier to handle.
3. Zelite Infinity Chef Knife 8 Inch
Category: Best high end chef’s knife with sharpest blade
Are you looking for the sharpest chef’s knife available in the market? Then your wish is my command, my friend. This Zelite Infinity Chef Knife 8 Inch is known to be the sharpest knife available in the market. You can read the online reviews on Amazon and find everyone has a similar thing to say. Moreover, it comes with a gift. So, let’s begin with the features to find out more about it:
- Features: The first thing we notice in anything is there appearance, so, this has 8 inches long blade with 67 layers of stainless steel which can be seen. The tang is completely covered and the blade is protected inside the handle with the help of double rivets. There is a bolster to protect your fingers. This is known to be the sharpest knife that can cut, chop, slice and mince any food including bones. The other thing that is good about it is the 8 inches blade size. This makes it easier to handle and manoeuver.
- Material: The handle is made up with military-grade G10 and blade is made up from 67 layers of high carbon Japanese AUS-10 stainless steel.
- Size: It is 8 inches long and it weighs approximately 0.62 pounds. This is lightweight instead of all the heavy steel and handle.
4. Calphalon Katana Cutlery 8-Inch VG Chef’s Knife
Category: Best 8 Inch Chefs Knife Under 200
I heard you are looking for a mid-price ranged and extremely lightweight chef’s knife. Well, I most certainly heard you and came up with this Calphalon Katana Cutlery 8-Inch VG Chef’s Knife. It is extremely lightweight and comes at a very affordable price. If this was not enough then the company also offers a lifetime warranty in case you have any trouble.
- Features: Calphalon Katana Cutlery 8-Inch VG chef’s knife has a partially covered tang which is a drawback. The bolster is integrated and cannot be visible. The 38 layers of stainless steel is visible on the blade and each layer has a unique pattern. There are no rivets to secure the blade inside the handle. Although the handle has an ergonomic design that makes it easier to handle. And it is extremely lightweight. So, your hands won’t ache after all day of cutting and chopping.
- Material: The blade is made up of stainless steel which is forged on the Japanese VG 1 steel. It has 33 layers of stainless steel. The handle is made up of polyresin.
- Size: The Calphalon knife is 8 inches long and it approximately weighs 1.44 ounces which makes it extremely lightweight.
Also Read: Best Blender To Chop Frozen Fruit
5. DALSTRONG Chef’s Knife
Category: Best chef’s knife which is made up using Honbazuke three steps method
Are you looking for a good knife with a good brand and is durable? Then DALSTRONG Chef’s Knife should be your first choice. The shogun series is nitrogen cooled. So, this provides extra hardness, durability and resistance towards corrosion to your knife.
- Features: The blade is 7 inches long which is an ideal size. There are three rivets for holding the blade in the handle. The handle is resistant to heat and weather. This material also ensures long life and durability of your knife. This has a mirror surface on both sides.
- Material: The blade is made up of high-quality Japanese Aus-10 stainless steel. It has 67 layers of carbon stainless steel. The handle is made up from military-grade G-10 garolite. It is a type of fibrous glass.
- Size: The knife is 7 inches big. It weighs 0.07 ounces which makes it extremely lightweight.
6. MAC MIGHTY Mac Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife
Category: Best chef’s knife with hollow steel.
hey there. Still confused about the chef’s knife. Are you looking for a small and lightweight but do not want to compromise on the design as well? Then this is perfect for you, it is MAC MIGHTY Mac Professional Hollow Edge Chef’s Knife. This is a beautiful chef’s knife with a lifetime warranty in case if any trouble.
- Features: If we talk about the style then you can see it have quite a nice touch to it. It has MAC MIGHTY impose all over the blade. The handle is triple riveted to secure the blade inside. There are dimples at the edge that prevents the food from sticking at the knife. It cannot be washed in a dishwasher.
- Material: The blade is made up of molybdenum steel. And the handle is made up of Pakka wood.
- Size: The length of this knife is 12.63 inches. The blade is 2 mm thick and weighs 0.63 pounds.
7. Global Model X Chef’s Knife
Category: best chef’s knife made from finest stainless steel
Looking for a sleek microwave oven with all the cool feature to go with your modern kitchen. Your wish is my command. I have found GE JVM3160DFBB 30″ Over-the-Range Microwave Oven. This company aims to provide you with a product exactly you desire. Hence it is a sleek black microwave with lots of features. Such as:
- Features: If we talk about the design of this knife that it has a very unique design. It has a hollow handle which is extremely lightweight and does not stress upon your wrists whatsoever.
- Material: The blade is made up of Cromova 18 stainless steel which is specially designed for the Global company. The hollow handle is made up of sand. The blade is 8 inches thick and the height is 2 inch that gives the perfect knuckle clearance. This knife is perfect for people that handle the knife by pinch. The ice-tempered blade is hardened by the 56 to 58 degrees temperature.
- Size: The knife is 8 inches long. The thickness of the blade is 2 inches and the spine is 4 mm thick.
The parts of chef’s knife:
Before knowing the working of a chef’s knife. You should know the anatomy of it. The better you know the parts of the knife better you will know how to use the full potential of the knife. The parts with detail have been mentioned below:
- Tang: This is the lower part of the knife. This the part where the blade is covered fully with a single piece of metal. The knives that have partial or half-covered tang than this means there are not as durable and effective as fully covered. There will also be cheap in price. For example, FN sharp knives have fully covered tang knives that ensures durability and effective working in the kitchen.
- Handle: It is as important for cutting as the blade itself. The good handle ensures easy and fast cutting. Choose a knife with a handle that is an extension of your hand. Do not choose chef knives with wood handle although wood handles seem appealing due to the easy usage they tend to go bad in time. The metal handle is good, durable and lightweight. There are many knives available in the market that can be used by right hand and left-hand user.
- Rivets: The part which secures the blade with in the piece of metal is called Rivets. It is on the top side of the handle. Before purchasing a knife, make sure that the rivet is flushed with handle.
- Bolster: The bolster is the part which is prevents your hand from slipping on to the blade. This part is forged with a piece of metal and not all knives have bolsters. It is located in the opposite end of the cutting edge.
- Heel: The heel is the part where the end of the handle meets with the exposed part of blade. It is the strongest part of knife as it can be used to chop nuts, carrots and even bones.
- Edge: It is the thick part of the knife. This performs all the cutting, chopping and slicing. Make sure you select knife that is made up of durable quality of steel and has good edge geometry.
- Spine: The spine edge is located opposite to the cutting edge. This extends from handle to the tip.
- Blade: The blade is the most important part of the knife. The chef’s knife comes with different of blades. The knife with carbon blade gets dull very quickly but they can be sharpened. Look for the knife with end to end forged steel blade. This type of knife will be strong, durable and great speed.
How to hold a chef’s knife?
Once you have identified all the parts of your knife than it will be easy for you to hold the chef’s knife. If you are using it for the first time or learning to use it then don’t worry. I have provided the step by step guide to explain everything along the way.
- Identify the bolster: Before holding the knife, identify the bolster if it has any on it.
- Put your right or left index finger on below the bolster which is near the heal.
- The thumb and the index finger should be at the opposite end of the handle. They should be pinching or gripping the blade through the handle.
- The rest of your fingers will be loosely wrapped around the handle.
- The hand that is holding the food is called the guiding hand. Make sure your guiding hand is at the correct position and then use the knife to cut the food.
- Hold the food while curling your finger to secure them from any damage is called Claw grip. Carefully dice or slice the food passing by the knuckles of your hand and keep your fingers curled under the food. The knife remains in perpendicular direction while cutting the food. If you want to practice this cutting technique then cutting onions and apples will be a good start.
- You can also use the technique of handle grip. In this technique, your fingers are wrapped around the handle. The composition of a handle, hand size and shape plays an important part in this and it also makes the difference.
Congratulations. We have successfully reached the end of the article. If you are still with me it means you have appreciated by research. And why shouldn’t you, I have put have heart and soul in this. All the chef’s knives that I have mentioned above have a high rating on Amazon. Moreover, they each stand by the qualities they are known for.
To make the decision making easier for you I have established the pros and cons list. This will help you to decide what features you like or dislike. If you are a seasoned chef then buying correct chef’s knife is the question of your livelihood. So, make a well-informed decision by selecting the correct knife. Now that everything is said and done, goodbye and have a happy shopping.
What kind of knife does Gordon Ramsay use?
Well according to my research he uses Wusthof and Henckels branded knives. He uses a chef’s knife for cutting, slicing and dicing. And parring knife for peeling of fruits and vegetables.
How to select a good chef’s knife?
The sharp edge is the identity of good chef’s knife. It has out of the box sharpness. If you want to check the sharpness of the knife then just make a cut on a plane paper. If it was a chef’s knife then it will make swift clean cut.
Is Damascus steel good for chef’s knives?
Yes, Damascus steel is very strong and they remain sharper for a longer period of time which is good for slicing and dicing. But Damascus steel comes in different types. Carbon Damascus is the best for making chef’s knives.