When I was younger, my mom would make the most amazing mac and cheese. It was always a special occasion when she would cook it up, and I would always savor every cheesy bite. But then one day, she moved away and took her recipes with her. I tried to recreate her dish many times, but it just never tasted the same.
Then, one day, I came across a recipe for Bahamian Mac and Cheese. I was hesitant to try it at first, but I’m glad I did. This dish is absolutely delicious! It’s got the perfect combination of spice and cheese, and it’s definitely something you won’t find in your average mac and cheese recipe.
If you’re looking for an amazing mac and cheese dish that’s a little bit different than the norm, then you should definitely try Bahamian Mac and Cheese. You won’t be disappointed!
Ingredients Overview For Bahamian Mac and Cheese Recipe
Uncooked Elbow Macaroni
The Elbow Macaroni is perfect for this recipe because it’s a pasta that can easily absorb the flavors of the cheese and spices. It also has a nice, chewy texture that goes well with the creamy sauce.
The butter helps to bind the ingredients together. It also adds a nice, buttery flavor that complements the cheese and spices perfectly.
This recipe calls for a lot of cheddar cheese, which gives it a rich, cheesy flavor. The combination of cheddar and other cheeses used in this dish make it extra creamy and flavorful.
Green Bell Pepper & White Onion
These two vegetables add an amazing depth of flavor to the macaroni bake. They have a subtle sweetness that balances out the saltiness of the cheese and spices.
Eggs, Black Pepper & Salt
The eggs act as binding agents and add a bit of creaminess to the overall dish. The black pepper helps to bring out all the flavors, while the salt adds a bit of umami.
Paprika & Habanero or Goat Pepper
These two spices add an amazing kick of heat to the dish. The habaneros give it a unique flavor that you won’t find in any other mac and cheese recipe.
The evaporated milk gives this dish its creaminess. It also helps to bind all the ingredients together for a rich and decadent final product.
This dish is perfect for any occasion, and it’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. But if you’re not a fan of some of the ingredients used in this recipe, don’t worry! There are plenty of substitutions that you can make to tailor the dish to your own taste.
If you’re not a fan of cheddar cheese, or if you’re looking for a different flavor profile, there are plenty of others that can be substituted in this recipe. Some great options include mozzarella, brie, blue cheese, or gouda.
If you don’t have paprika on hand, or if you want a milder flavor profile, you can substitute it with ground cumin or chili powder.
Habanero Pepper Substitution:
If habanero peppers are too spicy for your taste, they can easily be replaced with jalapeño peppers or bell peppers.
Evaporated Milk Substitution:
You can also substitute evaporated milk with heavy cream or half-and-half if you’d like a richer and creamier mac and cheese dish.
No matter which substitutions you choose to make, this Bahamian Mac and Cheese recipe is sure to be absolutely delicious. Give it a try, and you won’t be disappointed! Enjoy!
- 1 lb uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 16-oz bags cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c butter
- Habanero or Goat Pepper, diced
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- black pepper
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 tsp paprika
Instructions Overview For Bahamian Mac and Cheese Recipe:
- Boil water in a large pot and add salt
- Add uncooked macaroni pasta and boil until tender
- In a separate pan, melt butter and stir in macaroni until butter melts
- Slowly stir in most of cheese evenly. Reserve 8 ounces (or half of a 16 ounce bag) for later topping
- Add paprika, black pepper, onion, bell pepper, and 1/2 of a finely diced habanero or goat pepper. Stir well until cheese is melted and blended
- Beat eggs lightly and stir into mixture
- Slowly add evaporated milk, pouring about half a cup at a time
- Stir well, and spread the mixture evenly into a large prepared baking pan about 13 x 9 inches
- Top with remainder of cheese and loosely cover with foil
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until top is golden color
- Allow macaroni to cool for 45-50 minutes until room temperature before serving
The Bahamian Mac and Cheese recipe will last in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. When storing, be sure to tightly wrap the dish in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Also Read : Bacon Cheddar Scallion Scones
This Bahamian Mac and Cheese recipe is sure to be absolutely delicious. Give it a try, and you won’t be disappointed! Enjoy!